Friday 4 April 2014

Paleo Lemon Muffin Base








I'm baaaaaaaack!

Here I go starting to post all those recipes I've been Instagraming for ever.  Better late than never, right?

So today, for all of you that are coming to my "garage sale" I made you Lemon Blueberry Paleo Muffins :)

Here is the link to the original recipe, lemon poppyseed muffins, they are wonderful just as they are!

My recipe is altered a little, I upped the lemon zest, added applesauce (which helps add moisture and texture to coconut flour) and reduced the oil and honey by a bit.  It is also a bigger batch.   This recipe is the 'base' for lemon poppyseed or lemon blueberry or lemon "fill-in-the-blank" so the calorie content for whatever you are adding is left out of the calculation and is for the base recipe only.

Enjoy!



PALEO LEMON MUFFIN BASE

Makes 2-3 doz regular size cupcakes, around 140 calories each.

Heat oven to 350, 325 if using convection

INGREDIENTS:
-1 1/4 cup coconut flour
-15 organic pastured eggs,
-zest or peel of 8 or more organic lemons 
-3/4 cup raw honey
-1/4 tsp sweetleaf stevia or to taste
-1 cup organic applesauce
-3/4 cup organic unprocessed coconut oil
-1 tsp sea salt
-1 tsp baking soda

and for my batch this morning - 2-3 cups frozen blueberries - though dehydrated blueberries would be my preference.

In your mixer bowl sift your coconut flour, baking soda and salt. 

Grab your blender and add all your eggs, honey and lemon peel (i just peel the lemon using a veggie peeler instead of zesting, make sure you don't get much pith (the white part) and let the blender do the work for you.)  Blend until you can't see any chunks of lemon peel.

Turn your mixer on and slowly add your wet ingredients from your blender, then add applesauce and stevia if using....come to think of it, some vanilla would be great too.

Once it is mixed into a smooth consistency, add poppy seeds, blueberries, cranberries...whatever and scoop into muffin liners.  I use my "big" cookie scoop, about 1/3 of a cup.  These won't rise too much, and if they overflow they will just run out and over their liner, so don't overfill the muffin cups.

Bake for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Refrigerate if keeping out more than a day - the are very moist so I am sure they would mould easily.  They also freeze brilliantly!  

Let me know how it turns out!

M


No comments:

Post a Comment